In 1935, Albert "Dutch" Haughey established Haughey Funeral Home in Watkins Glen, New York, selecting a storefront location downtown. As described by his daughter, Judy, all funerals conducted by Mr. Haughey during that era were held in the private homes of the families he served.
Following his marriage to Tillie in 1937 and the birth of his daughter Judy in 1940, Dutch purchased the building at 119 5th St. in 1941. He added a chapel room in 1956 to accommodate families and their guests.
Stephen P. Wood took over operations from Mr. Haughey in 1982, and the name became Haughey-Wood Funeral Home. Mr. Haughey passed away in 1987, and Stephen Wood personally operated the funeral home until his passing in 2006.